Loss of a job, a serious illness, or a housing crisis can throw a household into turmoil. Community Action’s Housing Assistance Program and Services helps families in crisis put their lives back together again. We are the one-stop source for assistance on housing, financial, or other needs that disrupt independent living. HUD Certified Counselors help set goals and budgets, prevent foreclosures and evictions, repair credit, or plan for a first home purchase. The service does as its name implies: it empowers people to take control and move forward with confidence, to become self-sufficient.
Comprehensive Case Management
The program provides counseling for families to help them create short and long range goals, including budgeting, banking, credit repair, employment, GED and higher education obtainment, and home ownership.
Education and assistance are provided with monthly expense budgeting to help families and individuals understand financial management. Community Action sponsors two-hour on-site and community based workshops, utilizing the FDIC “Money Smart” modules. The Agency partners with a local bank, utilizing training instructors to assist with workshops.
Housing Counseling and Eviction Prevention
Housing staff provides information and assistance for individuals facing evictions or housing referrals. HUD Certified Housing Counseling provides:
- Pre-purchase counseling and education classes for first time home buyers
- Foreclosure prevention counseling, including one-on-one mortgage default counseling and foreclosure prevention workshops
- Counselors are available to assist homeowners with the loan modification application submission process
- Emergency financial assistance to avoid eviction or to help with 1st month rent in a new home
- Information is provided for senior citizens, age 62 and older, who are interested in reverse mortgages
Housing Assistance Program and Services are offered at three Community Action locations:
Headquarters – 251 West Street,
Monday – Friday
8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
North County – 117 Delaware Avenue,
Monday – Friday
9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
South County – St. James Parish,
5757 Solomon’s Island Road, Lothian
9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
For Reverse Mortgage Counseling, contact Robin Revell-Dunn, (410) 626-1900 ext. 1018